I was working in a small office in Denver and noticed a photo on a pamphlet laying on my desk. The picture was of the Cape Hatteras lighthouse in North Carolina. I'm not sure exactly what it was that intrigued me so but I couldn't get it out of my mind. So much so that I took it home and kept it on my nightstand for several weeks.
Even though geographically it was not that far away, from my small and simple life it seemed like a distant and foreign land. All I could do was dream that one day I might be able to go there and just see this magnificent site.
That was over 30 years ago and just yesterday I saw another photo of that beautiful lighthouse and immediately it took me back to sitting at my desk in that tiny office, daydreaming of places I wanted to go and things I wanted to see. I never did go to see the lighthouse but now it's time. Somehow it stands as a beacon of hope and light from my dreams so long ago. Next stop the Outer Banks.
Monday, December 30, 2013
Sunday, December 29, 2013
Shy Girl on the Road
I have always been an extremely shy girl. As a child we moved around a lot so I was always the "new girl" and it made it very difficult to develop or maintain relationships. Just as soon as I would begin to form an attachment to someone we would leave and go on to the next place. It made me feel very lonely and isolated but the one constant for me was reading. No matter where we were I could always go to the library and escape into that realm of people and places that I only dreamt of.
Now as an adult, I intentionally go places where I don’t know anyone and feel very comfortable engaging in conversations and easily make friends everywhere I go. What is interesting to me is that I don’t do as much of that when I am at home, I tend to revert back to that nervous little girl who feels just a bit out of place. Perhaps being on the road takes me back to those stories I read when I was young and I don’t have to be the shy girl anymore.
Posted by Lynn at 10:19 AM 2 comments:
Saturday, December 21, 2013
Liebster Blog Award Nomination
I have just been nominated for the Liebster Blog Award by Jon Parker - Places and Races. The Liebster Award (from the German, meaning ‘dearest’) is for up and coming blogs. Thanks so much to Jon and everyone who has been reading my blogs! The Liebster Award is great in that it links nominators with nominees by giving guidelines that include setting your nominees questions.
Here are the Liebster Nominee Rules:
- Thank the person who nominated you and link back up to his/her blog
- Answer the 10 (or 11!) questions which are given to you by the nominator
- Nominate other bloggers for the award who have less than 200 followers
- Create 10 questions for your nominees to answer
- Let the nominees know that they have been nominated by going to their blog and notifying them
- What is the longest you have stayed in a place that is not your own country?
- 6 months in Ireland – it was a fantastic experience
- What is your scariest travel experience to date?
- Someone trying to break-in to my hotel room
- What travel experience made you the happiest?
- Meeting the wonderful people of Shannon, Ireland
- What items do you travel with now that you didn’t to begin with?
- What advice would you give to someone who wants to travel but is scared it might not be for them?
- Try short, close to home little trips and go from there
- Which is your favorite continent you have visited?
- What makes travelers awesome people?
- Their curiosity and willing spirit
- What’s your funniest travel story?
- Flying with 2 large cats and 6 month old grandson – hysterical!
- If you could go back in time and give yourself one piece of travel advice, what would it be?
- Start sooner!!!!!
- What’s the best way to chat up a travel blogger?
- Ask them where they’ve been
I’m nominating:@MrsBerich, @MichaelGraciela, @Stepsoftravel, @itsinmysuitcase, @MrMrsbkpkr
My questions for the nominees:
· What was your favorite trip or location?
· Have you ever quit a job or left a relationship to travel?
· How has travel changed you?
· Do you prefer solo, couple or group travel?
· How do you decide where to go next?
· How long have you stayed away from home at one time?
· What influenced you to begin travelling?
· How do you manage personal relationships while on the road?
· Where would you like to go that you have never been?
· What has been your most emotional journey?
Thanks so much for reading! I look forward to hearing my nominee’s answers – happy travels!
Posted by Lynn at 3:32 PM No comments:
Labels: Liebster Award
Monday, December 16, 2013
Life is very Good
What a perfect day in Paris, it's warm with a light breeze blowing as I sit outside at a lovely Brasserie on Rue Cler and watch the world go by. Eating fantastic fresh oysters and sipping a gorgeous glass of wine I'm not sure that it gets any better than this.
La vie est bonne!
La vie est bonne!
Posted by Lynn at 11:41 AM No comments:
Subscribe to: Posts (Atom)